Required Documents

“Hassle-free crossings begin with proper documentation.”

About Us

A valid passport is required when entering and leaving the majority of countries. You will need the following documents to obtain a passport:
  • Properly Completed Passport Application
  • Proof of US Citizenship or a Passport Issued in the United States
  • Two Identical Passport-Sized Photographs
  • Required Fee
  • Proof of Identity (e.g., Driver’s License)
Please note that the following individuals must apply for a passport in person:
  • Applicants who are applying for a passport for the first time.
  • Applicants who last applied for a passport before their 18th birthday or more than 12 years ago.
  • Applicants who have lost or had their passport stolen.
The following individuals may apply for a passport by mail:
  • Applicants who last applied for a passport in their name within the last 12 years.
  • Applicants who can submit a passport with their application.
  • Applicants whose last passport was issued after their 18th birthday.

Other Documentation

You may need documentation beyond a passport to enter certain countries. The consulate of the country you’re moving to can inform you of the required documents. Be sure to contact the consulate as soon as you know about your international move to receive a list of required documents (e.g., medical certificates, immunization records, birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, etc.) as the processing may take time. Additional documents may also be required after your arrival. Therefore, it’s beneficial to research these requirements as soon as possible. Keep in mind that some documents take months to acquire.


Up-to-date passports are required to obtain a visa—an endorsement made on a passport by the proper authorities stating that your passport has been examined and that you have formal approval to enter a country for a specified period of time. To obtain a visa, contact the embassy of the country to which you are relocating. If a letter of recommendation is required, suggested sources are the manager of your bank, your employer, or other sources recommended by the Department of State. Make sure that you’re also aware of the specifics that must be included in the letter, including the addressee and a mention of your good credit history.

International Driving Permits

Inquire about driving permit laws before moving to another country. Some countries recognize American licenses, some accept international licenses, and some require drivers to take a test and obtain a license in their new country. Ask the appropriate consulate about the guidelines of the country where you’re moving.